SP 4449 Engineer Lays On The Whistle
Laying on the whistle has to be one of the best perks of being an engineer!
The moaning sound of her whistle adds to the beauty of the this locomotive!
SP4449 is shown here in Sprague, Washington, on her way to Michigan, filmed from an overpass before the days of drones!
Back in her heyday, her runs included the coast route along the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to San Francisco and on to Portland, Oregon. Called the Southern Pacific “Daylight“, she could make this 470 mile run totally during daylight hours due to her ability to go 100 mph!
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
- Nickname: The Coast Daylight – Los Angeles to San Francisco and Portland
Let us know if you have ever had the chance to take a SP4449 excursion run! We would love to hear about your experience!