The D&RGW “Chili Line” of 1880
The Old West lives again!
As part of a fund raising effort, the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, put on a photo op train excursion complete with freight and one flat bed with an old time passenger car for effect.
Located in the high altitude of New Mexico, this 125 mile branch of the old 3 foot narrow gauge was originally part of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad dating back to the 1880’s. It extended from Antonito, Colorado to Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Extending from Antonito, Colorado to Santa Fe, New Mexico. the nickname Chili Line was derived from its primary cargo of New Mexico Chili Peppers that were shipped from Santa Fe. The Chili Line was closed in 1941 due to competition from new highways and roads that made shipping faster.