SP #4449 Grade Crossing
Southern Pacific #4449, also known as the ‘Daylight’, is one of the most iconic engines in the history of America’s glorious age of steam! Leaving Albany, Oregon, Daylight is making the trip to Portland, Oregon, where she used to arrive from distances much further than Albany, such as San Francisco!
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
Being the last remaining GS-4 in existence from the Southern Pacific railroad, she is a rare and quite amazing sight to see. As Daylight fills the sky with steam, and the engineer lays down on the hauntingly beautiful whistle you can see why this beauty is one of America’s favorite engines!