‘Daylight’ #4449 Charges Home At Full Steam
Southern Pacific’s #4449 is a very well known railfan favorite, so it was no surprise when she was called out to Train Festival ’09 in Owosso, Michigan.
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Train type: Steam / Passenger
- Location: Oregon Rail Heritage Center
- Nickname: The Daylight
These amazing pacing shots are from her journey back home from Michigan, as she passes westbound through Montana! She had quite a bit of mileage to cover before she made back home to Portland, Oregon, but damned it if she wasn’t going to look good doing it!
The Amtrak engine is there to help the steamer out in case she breaks down!
Have you seen UP’s #4449 in action? We’d love for you to share your experiences with us!