Pacing UP #3985, SP #4449, And UP #844
UP’s #3985 is waiting in line for her restoration behind UP’s Big Boy 4014.
Some quick facts about the UP #3985 Challenger
- Builder – American Locomotive Works – 1943
- Wheel configuration – 4-6-6-4
- Locomotive and tender weight – 1,073,900 lbs
- Tractive effort – 97,350 lbf
- Class – Challenger
SP 4449 was called the Southern Pacific “Daylight“, she could make a 470 mile run totally during daylight hours due to her ability to go 100 mph!Advertisement
Some quick facts about SP 4449
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
- Nickname: The Coast Daylight – Los Angeles to San Francisco and Portland
UP 844 was the last steam locomotive built for the Union Pacific Railroad and was designated for passenger service during her illustrious career.
- Rail Line: Union Pacific
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive FEF-3 class Northern
- Builder: American Locomotive Company
- Locomotive and tender weight: 907,890 lbs
- Tractive effort: 63,750 lbf
Let us know which one of these locomotives is the winner…..we would love to hear your thoughts!