Great Smokey Mountain RR #1702
The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad waits for the return of Consolidation Class Steam Engine #1702!
The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad is a heritage railroad that still hauls freight and passengers in Western North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad Steam Engine #1702 follows the 53 miles of line through beautiful valleys, tunnels and across river gorges.
This Emmy winning clip was produced by a local reporter when he worked for WFMY News 2 in Greensboro, North Carolina.
The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad Steam Engine #1702 is a Northern Pacific Consolidation Class 2-8-0.
- Rail Line: Great Smoky Mountain Railroad
- Power type: 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive Consolidation Class
- Builder: American Locomotive Company 1923
- Train type: Freight/Passenger
- Location: Western North Carolina
- Locomotive and tender weight: 525,600 lbs
If you’ve ever taken a ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad let us know in the comments below! Would love to hear your experience on this classic piece of railroad history!