Big Boy #4014 Working Out The Kinks
Big Boy #4014 is seen working on a test run before the 2023 summer tour.
While hauling an assortment of hopper cars and other weight bearing cars, Ed Dickens gingerly works Big Boy out of the Union Pacific steam shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming in June of 2023.
Of the 25 Big Boys that were built, all but 8 were scrapped, unfortunately.
Quick Facts about UP Big Boy 4014
- Rail Line: Union Pacific
- Driver diameters:-68 inches
- Power type: 4-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive Class 4000
- Builder: American Locomotive Company 1941
- Coal Consumption: 22,000 lbs per hour (converted to #5 oil)
- Locomotive and tender weight: 1,250,000 lbs
- Max Speed: 80 MPH !
Let us know if you have seen Big Boy 4014 in person. We would love to hear about your experience!