15 Inch Gauge Railway Gets 100,000 Passengers Per Year!
What looks like a live steamer hobby is actually a real railroad in the UK!
The 15″ Gauge Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway dates back to 1927 and was originally built as a light railway. Originating in Kent, England, the line runs 13 1/2 miles from Hythe to Dungeness. This line carries more than 100,000 passengers per year!
Both steam locomotives seen in this clip were built by Davey Paxman & Company and designed by Henry Greenly. Both follow the Pacific type locomotives being 4-6-2 in wheel arrangement.
Locomotive No.8 Hurricane and No. 2 Northern Chief weigh 8 tons each!
You can even charter your own private train with enough cars to carry 120 guests for around $1500.00 US!
Locomotive Quick Facts
- Rail Line: Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway
- Locomotive Names: No. 8 Hurricane (Caledonian Blue) and No.2 Northern Chief (Brunswick Green)
- Power type: 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive Pacific class
- Builder: Davey Paxman & Co.
- Train type: 15″ light rail
- locomotive weight: 8 tons
If you’ve ever taken a ride on the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway or a train like this let us know in the comments below! Would love to hear your experience!