UP 844 Steaming Out On Double Diamonds
UP 844 is seen getting ready to leave Sacramento,CA., on her way back to Cheyenne, Wyoming in 2012. She definitely has a deep throated distinctive whistle as she builds up a head of steam.
As an added bonus, she carefully traverses a set of double diamonds when making it to the main line to lash up with the rest of of consist on that day.
UP 844 was in Sacramento for the celebration of the 150 Anniversary of the signing of the Pacific Railroad Act which promoted the construction of the “transcontinental railroad” back in 1862.
Some Quick Facts about UP #844
- Rail Line: Union Pacific
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive FEF-3 class Northern
- Builder: American Locomotive Company
- Locomotive and tender weight: 907,890 lbs
- Driver diameters – 80 inches!
- Tractive effort: 63,750 lbf
- MAX SPEED – 120 MPH !
Let us know if you have ever had to opportunity to see UP 844. We would love to hear about your experience!