SP 4449 Pulls Cascades Daylight!
Beautiful drone photography showcases this classic steamer!
Displaying the beautiful scenery from Portland, Oregon to Bend, Oregon, Southern Pacific #4449 weaves her way across the countryside with breathtaking canyons and rivers to cross. Set to relaxing music, you feel like this is a time out from a busy daily life you must take.
Back in her heyday, her runs included the coast route along the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to San Francisco and on to Portland, Oregon. Called the Southern Pacific “Daylight“, she could make this 470 mile run totally during daylight hours due to her ability to go 100 mph!
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
- Nickname: The Coast Daylight – Los Angeles to San Francisco and Portland
Let us know if you have ever had the chance to take a SP4449 excursion run! We would love to hear about your experience!