SP 4449 Filmed for IMAX
Crew gets the camera angle just right!
Back in April 2018, SP 4449 made a round trip run from Vancouver to Skamania through the Columbia River Gorge with an IMAX camera attached to the front of the boiler.
The movie being produced is called “Train Time” and the release date is yet to be determined.
As if SP 4449 isn’t beautiful enough, she is pulling BNSF’s polished steel passenger cars!
SP 4449 has an all volunteer crew and is maintained by the “friends of SP 4449” as caretakers.
Back in her heyday, her runs included the coast route along the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to San Francisco and on to Portland, Oregon. Called the Southern Pacific “Daylight“, she could make this 470 mile run totally during daylight hours due to her ability to go 100 mph!
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
- Nickname: The Coast Daylight – Los Angeles to San Francisco and Portland
Let us know if you have ever had the chance to take a SP4449 excursion run! We would love to hear about your experience!