SP 4449 Epic Excursion
Southern Pacific 4449 lets loose in the wide open spaces!
From Portland to Bend, Oregon and return on the Columbia River Gorge and Deschutes River Canyon, you can see some of the most spectacular scenery that awaited SP 4449!
Back in her heyday, her runs included the coast route along the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to San Francisco and on to Portland, Oregon. Called the Southern Pacific “Daylight“, she could make this 470 mile run totally during daylight hours due to her ability to go 100 mph!
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
- Nickname: The Coast Daylight – Los Angeles to San Francisco and Portland
Let us know if you have ever had the chance to take a SP4449 excursion run! We would love to hear about your experience!