Pacing The Durango & Silverton #476!
Who knew they had a flanger?
The snow in Durango, Colorado, is legendary. For this photographers special, they decided to bring out the flanger to help clear the tracks.
The Durango and Silverton Railroad has 3 K-28 Class 2-8-2 Mikado type locomotives. Although less powerful than their K-36 cousins, these smaller locomotives were preferred by engineers because of their design and balance.
Some quick facts – Durango & Silverton’s K-28 #476
- Builder: American Locomotive Company
- Locomotive type: Passenger oriented built for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad
- Build date: 1923 -1924
- Wheel configuration 2-8-2
- Locomotive weight: 140,000 pounds
- fuel: coal
- Tractive effort: 27,540lbf
Let us know if you have had the chance to take this scenic excursion on the Durango & Silverton Railroad! We would love to hear about your experience!