Milwaukee Road 261 Rounds The Bend
Listen to roar of this locomotive!
Milwaukee Road 261’s crew accelerates as she rounds the curve in outside of Sturtevant, Wisconsin. Her powerful pistons are pumping hard as the crew lays on the whistle.
Built back in 1944, Milwaukee Road 261 was made to reach speeds of up to 100 MPH!
There is truly nothing like a steam locomotive! The power, the mechanical beauty, and the romance of rail!
Some quick facts about the Milwaukee Road 261
- wheel arrangement – 4-8-4
- builder – American Locomotive Company – 1944
- driver diameters – 74 inches
- locomotive and tender combined weight – 824,100 lbs
- Maximum speed 100 MPH
- Current owners – Friends of the 261
Let us know if you ever have had the chance to see this locomotive in action. We would love to hear about your experience!