Building A Diesel-Electric Locomotive Start To Finish!
This is an amazing clip of the the building of a diesel-electric locomotive beginning to end!
Your average diesel-electric locomotive:
- Can weigh upwards of 400,000 lbs
- Has 4000 horse power
- Has 16 cylinders arranged in a V shape
- Can generate approximately 109,000 lbf of tractive effort
- Has an average length of 70 feet and width of 10 feet
- And is usually built by either GE (General Electric Transportation Systems or EMD (Electro-Motive Division)
Maximum speeds of the locomotive built can vary by what is required by the user. Depending on the usage intended, some locomotives are built for us with maximum traction at low start up speeds, while others are configured for longer, faster, heavier hauls across the country. Top end speeds usually do not rate much higher than 70 mph due to safety concerns.
Let us know if you have seen a factory or have worked in one of the shops that construct these diesel locomotives! We would love to hear about your experience!