At Last, UP BIG BOY 4014 !
Finally, the “holy grail” of Locomotives is back on the high iron!
Seen here on her shakedown run before her 1st excursion on May 4th, 2019, Big Boy 4014 is getting the feel of freedom crossing over the Cheyenne city limits for the first time in 60 years!
After years of hard work and restoration, the UP Steam Shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming, can be proud of their accomplishment. Bringing this beast back to life will give rail fans a great source of fun and entertainment for years to come.
Rescued from her display in Pomona, California, she was moved to the Union Pacific Steam Shop in Cheyenne back in May of 2014
Quick Facts about UP Big Boy 4014
- Service date: Built in 1941 for Union Pacific Railroad, retired in 1961.
- Locomotive nickname: ” Big Boy “
- Power type: 4-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive Class 4000
- Builder: American Locomotive Company
- Locomotive and tender weight: 1,250,000 lbs
- Max Speed: 80 mph
Please let us know if you are witnessing this event in person. We all would love to hear you comments!