A Slow Cold Start For Big Boy #4014
Union Pacific’s Big Boy 4014 quickly builds up a head of steam!
Early morning in Denver, Colorado in a driving snow storm provided the perfect opportunity to witness the initial buildup of boiler pressure Big Boy #4014 to begin the day. UP “Big Boy” 4014 runs up boiler pressure to 300 psi in order start moving the 1,250,000 lbs of locomotive and tender weight.
Quick Facts about UP Big Boy 4014
- Rail Line: Union Pacific
- Driver diameters:-68 inches
- Power type: 4-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive Class 4000
- Builder: American Locomotive Company 1941
- Coal Consumption: 22,000 lbs per hour (converted to oil)
- Locomotive and tender weight: 1,250,000 lbs
- Max Speed: 80 MPH !
Let us know if you have seen this magnificent locomotive in person. We would love to hear about your experience!