Durango & Silverton Dead Of Winter!
Durango & Silverton #473 releases her steam in dramatic fashion!Advertisement
Breath taking scenery AND a steam locomotive! It doesn’t get any better than this!
The Durango and Silverton Railroad has 3 K-28 Class 2-8-2 Mikado type locomotives. Although less powerful than tbeir K-36 cousins, these smaller locomotives were preferred by engineers because of their design and balance. Judging from the terrain that these locomotives needed to traverse, you can see why.
Some quick facts about the ALCO K-28’s
- Builder: American Locomotive Company
- Locomotive type: Passenger oriented built for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad
- Build date: 1923 -1924
- Wheel configuration 2-8-2
- Locomotive weight: 140,000 pounds
- fuel: coal
- Tractive effort: 27,540lbf
Let us know if you have had the chance to take this scenic excursion on the Durango & Silverton Railroad! We would love to hear about your experience!