Incredibly Rare UP Doubleheader 3985 & 844 Take Sherman Hill!
HELPERS – Locomotives added to a train en route to assist in climbing or descending grades.
Can you imagine both of these engines combined drawing power with having a tractive effort of 97,350 lbs each! These two were out of roundhouse in Cheyenne, Wyoming headed for RailFair ’99 in Sacramento, California when this clip was made. Imagine the opportunity of a lifetime being able to see these two barreling down the tracks together!
- Rail Line: Union Pacific
- Train Name: UP steam engines 844 and 3985 Challenger series locomotives
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive FEF-3 class
- Builder: American Locomotive Company
- Train type: Freight/Passenger
- Location: Cheyenne Depot Museum
- Locomotive and tender weight: 1,093,900 lbs each