WMSR #1309 Mallet Back On the Rails
After 66 years, WMSR/C&O #1309 is back in service!
Excursion duty has begun for this one of a kind Mallet articulated compound steam locomotive. The 2-6-6-2 wheel arrangement boasts compounded steam with 4 sets of cylinders overall in order to generate massive power to haul long, heavy coal trains back in the day.
#1309 was ideal for slow speed work in West Virginia.
The articulated locomotive has the front boiler sitting on a front pilot wheeled truck that allows the otherwise ridged boiler to pivot around curves that would normally be too tight.
Some C&O/WMSR #1309 stats:
- Operated from 1949-56 by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway
- Locomotive weight and tender weight 643,100 lbs
- Chesapeake & Ohio Railway ordered 25, 10 were delivered #1300-1309
- 2-6-6-2 configuration
- tractive effort 98,300lbf (simple) 77,900 (compound)
- Builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works 1949
- Total restoration cost: $2.8 million dollars
Let us know if you have had the opportunity to view WMSR #1309 up close. We would love to hear about your experience!