Southern Railway #401 Old Time Freight
Southern Railway #401 at the Monticello Railway Museum
The Baldwin Locomotive works sold locomotives to Southern states prior to the Civil War. Consequently, when war broke out, the Union military ordered “war trains” to help with movement of troops and equipment. This is why you will see recreations and replicas of these engines in countless movies about the Civil War in United States.
Quick facts about Southern Railways #401
- Rail Line: originally built for the Alabama Asphalt & Limestone Company
- Builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works – 1907
- Locomotive: Baldwin 401 H-4 Class consolidation
- Wheel arrangement: 2-8-0
- Tractive effort: 36,827 lbf
- Purpose: mixed short line freight and switcher duty
If you’ve ever taken a ride behind the Southern #401 we would love to hear about your experience.