Chasing And Pacing SP 4449 !
Listen to her unique baleful whistle!
Unfortunately, Southern Pacific #4449 is on display this year and does not have any excursions planned for the year 2021.
Sadly, due to Amtrak policy changes banning charter services and special trains, this beauty sits and has nowhere to go.
Seen here on an excursion through the plains of Montana, it is great to once again see her sheer power and driving wheels hard at work!
SP #4449 is currently housed at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland, Oregon.
Back in her heyday, her runs included the coast route along the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to San Francisco and on to Portland, Oregon. Called the Southern Pacific “Daylight“, she could make this 470 mile run totally during daylight hours due to her ability to go 100 mph!
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
- Nickname: The Coast Daylight – Los Angeles to San Francisco and Portland
Let us know if you have ever had the chance to take a SP4449 excursion run! We would love to hear about your experience!