Big Boy #4014 From Above
Silence is sometimes golden!
Caught in sub zero temperatures on the last leg of his southwest excursion, Big Boy #4014 is seen in a winter wonderland from high above. Although the video is silent, the Wyoming countryside in winter provides a magnificent backdrop to Big Boy #4014.
There were 25 Union Pacific “Big Boys” built overall beginning in 1941 for the specific purpose of handling freight up the 65 mile grade of the Wasatch Mountain Range starting inOgden,Utah and ending in Wyoming.
Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 stats:
- Operated from 1941-59
- Bearing full load weighed a total of 1,250,000 million lbs
- Only 25 ever made
- 4-8-8-4 configuration
- Top speed of 80 Mph
- Articulated with no compound of the steam
- Water Capacity – 25,000 gallons
- Cylinders- 4 outside (2 for each set of 4 driving wheels)
- Boiler pressure – 300 PSI
Let us know if you have had the opportunity to view Big Boy up close. We would love to hear about your experience!